Yesterday I was driving home from work when a Breaking News flash came over the radio saying there was a huge warehouse on fire in South Paris. My attention immediately perked up because one of my cleaning customers owns a big huge warehouse in South Paris and sure enough, it was their warehouse that was on fire! Holy cow! I couldn’t believe it. When the 6pm local news came on, it was reported the building, which houses paper, was still on fire and the firefighters figured it would burn for another 8 hours or so, since they were only able to fight the fire from the roof and not from the inside. And last night, we could smell the fire from our house, which was so creepy and weird. There was a rubber smell in the air too. Again, very weird to be standing there smelling this fire knowing my customer’s business is most likely going to be a total loss.
New England Public Warehouse caught fire yesterday accidentally by a welder. Wow. This is so sad because it’s right before Christmas and I’m sure the employees are feeling the stress. I was upset about it all night. One thing is for sure, though, my customer who owns this business will make sure the employees are taken care of. I know they will. They are an incredibly nice couple and are very giving of themselves. Hell, the husband goes to work wearing the most incredible clothes, meaning, one day I was folding the laundry and said to his wife, “Your husband dresses like a homeless person”. She laughed and said, “Well, he doesn’t feel right about showing up to work wearing anything else. The guys he works with would tease him and he does it to fit in with them”. I thought that was classy. This is who this couple is. They truly care about the people around them, so I’m sure they will find a way to make it right with their employees. As the article linked above states, Oxford County has already lost a ton of jobs, so losing this business (even temporarily), is devastating to this area. Oh boy.